Thursday, September 17, 2009

A WRITER'S DESTINY

It sounds pompous, I know, but I believe writers have a destiny. I don't think this is at all unique to writers and artists -- I think it applies to everybody. As the Evangelicals would say, "God has a plan for your life."

I may have mentioned that I write not only fetish erotica but literary fiction. I have written one novel so far, and am well into the next. Constantly I am worried that this or that problem in my life will interfere with my writing, perhaps forever mar the quality and quantity of my work. It is not the work I worry about so much that is, but how I might through laziness, distraction, cowardice, any of the 7 deadly sins or limitless weaknesses of the human personality somehow let something in my life screw up my writing. Now in my late forties, I feel I have already wasted a lot of time somehow. The waste of time is my bete noire, you might say.

But here is one comfort, anyway: if my writing has a destiny, then it is a joint project between me and God. And that means it is up to God to take at least some responsibility for it. Not everything is up to me.

No comments: